Friday 20 September 2013

Keeping the peacefulness

Yesterday I wrote about how, at the moment, I am feeling peaceful about where we are in our IF journey.  I still feel that way and I am so grateful.

I wonder though, are we ever truly at peace with it?
Is our sense of peace constantly interrupted by the dreams and expectations of those around us?
Of societies standards?
Or does the dream of children never truly leave us?
Is it a biological need that we can't remove?

Kathleen Guthrie Woods over at Life Without Baby describes herself as "mostly at peace with her childfree status"

Right now, I feel that I am at peace.  But I expect that may change just as surely as the days change and our emotions shift and flow through their neverending evolution.

How can it not? The childfree blogging world is filled with stories and comments on how the world around us doesn't accept the childfree status.  "Keep trying", "Don't give up", "Miracles do happen", "Having children was the best thing I ever did".

I would expect that it would be difficult to remain peaceful when we are surrounded by societies expectations.  Yet, I must admit, I don't really feel that too much.

I think with my friends, that once we reach the end of our IF journey, our friends will reach the same acceptance as well.  Their hopes and dreams for us have been a reflection and support of our own hopes and dreams.  They have children, they know we want children, they have the same hopes and dreams for us.  At least on the surface, I don't believe they will continue to put that expectation upon us.

Some of my family members may be a bit different.  With my friends, their dreams are for us.  With some family members, their dreams of us having children are for them as well.  Some may not be able to give up on their own dream of our potential children.  I think that has the possibility  to continue to be a stab in the heart.

I was talking to one of my closest friends the other night.  She is the one friend who would have done anything to help us get pregnant.  She wanted that for us so much.  Her depth of friendship was incredible - to the point of not only offering her eggs but also offering to carry our child for us, if necessary with her egg and DH sperm.  She was incredible.  However, she is also my age and it was not a possibility.  But her offering was one of the most heartwarming and loving things that I have ever experienced.

Her thoughts were that everyone has something completely profound and painful in their life that they have to live with.  Something that also constantly stabs them in the heart throughout their life.  Whether it be losing a child, or losing a loved one.  It may be the end of marriage that they never recover from, or a tragic accident that changes their lives forever.  And each of these "somethings" have triggers that see them reliving that pain.  Some triggers also societal, just as much as childlessness can be.

Her thoughts were that my childlessness was my "something".  Not really any different than someone elses "something".  Just as painful and just as permanent.  It does not have to halt my life.  It does not have to stop me being happy.  Their are so many ways to be happy in life.   And their are so many positives in not having children.

So I guess that is where the "mostly at peace" feelings come in.  There will always be some moments.  The one emotion that pops out at me, is feeling a sense of emptiness, like something is missing in my life.  But it is in the distance for the moment.  And I have learnt over the years, not to put all that much stock in the judgement of others, or what society thinks.  You can't completely avoid it, but you can put it in perspective.

What is important is my journey through life, my own unique experiences, my own loves and passions, my life with my husband, family and friends and my contentment in the day to day living.  

This is where my peace lays.

10 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I followed you over here from Because I Can't Have Babies. "And I have learnt over the years, not to put all that much stock in the judgement of others, or what society thinks. You can't completely avoid it, but you can put it in perspective." This was a beautiful thing to read!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara. Nice to meet you. I'm heading over to visit you now!

      Delete
  2. I think this motherhood dream has so many layers of grief that we have to deal with one at a time...sometimes some of them recur in the future though maybe not at different degrees - and I know from my experience that the pain isn't as acute anymore the longer time you spend on your healing journey.

    However, some of the layers of grief may still be shocking...I've read and heard about how those older than me have felt some pangs and grief when their friends become grandmothers...or when their friends' children reach a certain age (graduation, wedding day, etc.). Still even though logically I know all that, I was surprised when I felt some grief over the fact that one friend has become a grandmother lately.

    But because of this I'm very thankful for all the people who've gone before me who've opened up their journeys for me, because otherwise I think I may have been feeling so confused and lost again whenever I feel new types of grief or any recurring types of grief. It's not helpful when one is so confused and lost as to WHY one feels grief again.

    Btw, it's SO heartwarming to read about your friend who would do anything to help you to be pregnant. So touching! :-) You have great friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I hadn't even thought about my friends becoming grandparents. My brother is one now though and that is a delight. My great nephew is adorable and, while he brings some pangs, I get to be a great aunt babysitter and I enjoy that.

      I've been very grateful this week for many blogs that I have read dealing with the issue of the recurring hope for an 'oopsie' pregnancy after the decision for childfree has been made. As you said, I am thankful for them for sharing their own experiences.

      Love and light
      xx

      Delete
  3. I am "mostly at peace" right now as well. I think you are right that as life moves on, the peace may be disrupted for a time. Maintaining that peace is something I am working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you well with continued peace, Jen! I have found that this post has helped me the last few days. I have felt a pang of something and remembered what I wrote and found the peace again. Thank goodness for all our sharing!
      xx

      Delete
  4. I think you are right. As long as you are at peace about the course of your life, it will all be fine. I am lucky to have three married women in my life who are older than me, never had children, and openly share what they would or would not have done differently in their younger years in regards to the pursuit of parenthood. They are a safe place for me when I wonder if we will ever be parents. What's better is that they really "hear me," they never judge, and they always encourage me as we talk through my possibilities. In the end, they agree that once you find your place of peace in regards to having or not having children, your life can really take a very positive shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby, when you spoke about have three older women in your life that are childfree it made me think about women that I know. And I was amazed to think of two. I hadn't thought of them in that way before, but it would be worthwhile talking to them about it. Thank you!

      What a blessing it is for you to have these women in your life. It sounds like some wonderful friendships!

      xx

      Delete
  5. I think peace comes and goes as well but that is probably just a fact of life. We will get through this and come out stronger on the other side.

    ReplyDelete